Download Progress Callback problem ...

Jun 29, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Hey guys ...

First i want to say that i really love the idea of using a custom loader screen. ( Away from the mainstream .. ) and it seems that your Loader control could really be helpfull on implementing advanced loader screens.

Thanks for your work and that you share it with us !

I have a problem with using the loader. First : My page is hosted on a provider that does not support asp.net so my .xap files are hosted inside a IFrame Object and a html page.

My problem is now, the loader is firing the downloadProgressCallback when the whole *.xap file is allready loaded. So it takes approximately 30 seconds to load the  xap file in the background while my 'LoaderPage' isn't showing any progress.

It seems to me as if the downloadProgressCallback get's fired only when the whole xap is allready loaded ?!

So the loader page does not make much sense if no real progress gets shown ... Could you please help me or give me a push in the right direction to solve this ?

Thanks a lot

Noodles

Coordinator
Jul 1, 2009 at 5:25 AM

Hi  Noodles,

Thank you for your kind words.

First to make sure the delay is not an artificial one. Verify that you set the debug/simulation mode off by setting the maxTransferRateKB to zero:

// create package download manager and start the download process in real mode -> no cap or simulation

PackageDownloadManager pdm = new PackageDownloadManager(loader, myDownloadList, 0);

If this doesn't help send me a link to a test page that shows the problem.

Regards,

JB

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:40 AM

Hi JB,

I allready set the maxTransferRateKB to zero. If i set Transferrate higher than zero, 'download progress' (after the package is loaded) is just slower.

I have the page allready online : If you want to take a look at : http://www.schlosserei-pongratz.at/ 

You can see a indeterminated progressbar as long as no downloadprogresschanged event gets fired. --> after this : my simulation of downloading the package is starting...

Thanks.

Noodles

Coordinator
Jul 1, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Hi Noodles,

Very nice loader :)

I didn't see the frame and also I 'm assuming you load the target from the code because I didn't see any initparams but that's fine.

In any case it looks fine to me (no visible delay). Just remember that while the loader itself is loading you might see a delay. This is why you should keep the first part of the loader small.

Your loader SplashTest.xap is 157KB which could be a little slow to load on some connections.

To solve this problem, you can actually chain loaders or make the loader very small and then dynamically load another part of the loader before you load the application.

JB